Applying for Counselling through Work and Income NZ (WINZ)

  • You can get a Disability Allowance for a number of different things, including counselling. The maximum you can get for a Disability Allowance is $63.22 a week.

  • You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Disability Allowance.

For more information, Click through to the WINZ website here or download the application form here.

The person who needs counselling must:

  • have a health condition or disability that's likely to last at least 6 months from when they were diagnosed

  • need counselling because of the health condition or disability

  • have regular, ongoing counselling costs that are not fully covered by another agency (eg Child, Youth and Family, ACC).

They also need to be seeing either:

  • a counsellor who is a member of:

    • Psychotherapists Board of Aotearoa New Zealand

    • NZ Association of Counsellors (NZAC)

    • NZ Christian Counsellors Association

    • The Social Workers Registration Board (SWRB)

    • Australian, New Zealand and Asian Creative Arts Therapy Association (ANZACATA) - previously known as the Australian and New Zealand Arts Therapy Association (ANZATA)

    • Drug and Alcohol Practitioners Association of Aotearoa New Zealand (DAPAANZ). This only includes Registered Competent Practitioners and Associate Practitioners. It does not include a support worker

  • a psychologist who:

    • holds a current practising certificate

    • is registered with the Psychologists Board.

To apply, you need to be:

  • 16 and older

  • a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

It also depends on how much you and your partner earn.